This agreement (“agreement”) sets forth the terms and conditions governing my admission submission to the American Film Institute Conservatory (AFI) of the creative literary materials (“materials”) described in the AFI Conservatory application form and related instructions (“application”). I understand that AFI will not consider, review, or accept such material unless I agree to these terms and conditions. In agreeing to this agreement, I accept each and every one of the following provisions:
- I acknowledge that the materials are not submitted to AFI Conservatory in confidence and that no confidential relationship is intended or established between us by my submission of the materials.
- I represent and warrant that the materials represented as examples of my work are original with me, that I am the sole owner and author of the materials and the terms and conditions set forth herein and to grant all rights in and to the materials. Further, I represent that I have the right to submit these materials in which I collaborated as defined in my application.
- I agree that nothing contained in the agreement, or the fact of my submission of the materials to AFI, shall be deemed to place AFI in any different position than anyone else to whom I have submitted the materials with respect to any portion of the materials which does not constitute protectable literary property.
- I recognize that AFI, its faculty, its employees and advisors have access to and/or may create or have created literary materials and ideas that may be similar or identical to these submitted materials in theme, idea, plot, format or other respects. I agree that I will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use of any such similar or identical materials that may have been independently created by AFI or any such employee or advisor, or may have come to AFI from any other independent source. I agree that any claim by me arising out of AFI’s use of material containing elements similar or identical to those contained in these materials without compensation by me shall, at AFI’s sole discretion, be submitted to to binding arbitration before the American Arbitration Association in Los Angeles, California, each party to bear its own costs. Any award favorable to me shall be limited to award of compensation reasonably related to the amount of compensation normally paid by AFI for similar material.
- I hereby release AFI of and from any and all liability and responsibility for loss of, damage to, preservation or return of the copy submitted to AFI hereunder.
- I understand the decisions of the Admission Committee are final and not subject to appeal. Individuals who are denied admission are not entitled access to materials relating to the denied application or provided individual critiques of the work submitted.
- I certify that all information submitted in the admission process for the AFI Conservatory including, but not limited to, the application, the narrative statement, any supplements and any supporting materials, is my own work, factually true and honestly presented.
- I understand that all documents submitted including transcripts, TOEFL and IELTS scores become the sole property of the AFI Conservatory and will not be returned to me.